Beef with Mushroom and Cauliflower Stir-fry
- 1 lb. boneless sirloin steak (or beef flank), sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups cauliflower
- 2 cups whole button mushrooms, fresh or canned
- 1/2 cup broth or water
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. soy sauce (light or dark)
- 1 onion, sliced
- fresh coriander, for garnishing (optional)
- Trim fat from beef.
- Slice meat with grain into 2 inch strips.
- Cut strips across grain into 1/8 inch slices.
- In a bowl, combine sliced beef with vegetable oil, cornstarch, salt, sugar, soy sauce and pepper.
- Stir to blend.
- Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes. (You may also wish to adjust the seasoning to your
By smelling the aroma of the marinated meat you’ll know if it is well seasoned or not).
- Separate cauliflower into flowerets. Place flowerets in boiling water.
- Cook for a minute or two. Using a strainer, remove cauliflower and immediately rinse under running cold water to stop cooking. Set aside.
- IN ANOTHER bowl, mix broth or water with cornstarch and oyster sauce. Stir to blend. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet (or a wok) over medium-high heat.
- Stir-fry the beef for about 3 to 5 minutes or until meat is brown.
- Add garlic and onion, saute until it softens.
- Stir in mushrooms and cauliflower.
- Cook for a few minutes.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture.
- Continue stirring until sauce thickens for about a few seconds.
- Correct the seasoning, to taste.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve hot the beef with mushroom and cauliflower and garnish with fresh coriander.